There are numerous different Aussie expressions for saying “to steal”, which means “to take something without permission, something that doesn’t belong to you“.
- To steal
- To rob
- To flog
- To nick
- To pinch
- To swipe
Note: “To Rob” isn’t used like the other verbs, you rob someone of something, or you rob a place.
- I robbed Pete of his shoes.
- I robbed the bank.
- I stole Pete’s shoes.
- I pinched Pete’s shoes.
- I flogged Pete’s shoes.
- I nicked Pete’s shoes.
- I swiped Pete’s shoes.
- I stole from the bank. (you don’t have to be specific about what you stole with the verb “to steal”)
- I flogged money from the bank. (need to be specific)
- I nicked money from the bank (need to be specific)
- I pinched money from the bank (need to be specific)
- I swiped money from the bank (need to be specific)
Here's what you get when you sign up!
- Read while you listen using the Premium Podcast player.
- Understand every word in every episode.
- Download all PDF transcripts and MP3s for 600+ episodes.
- Get access to bonus member-only episodes.