In this episode I discuss the Aussie pronunciation of the verb “to give” when followed by the pronouns “me”, “us”, “them”, “you”, “him” and “her” and how they change when we Aussies speak quickly.
- Give + me = gimme
- Give + us = givus
- Give + them = givem
- Give + you = givya
- Give + him = givim
- Give + her = giver
- Can you gimme a minute? I’m not ready.
- I’m parched, can you givus another beer?
- They’ll finish the work if you givem some more time.
- I’ll givya twenty minutes to get ready.
- If he’s still hungry then givim some more food.
- We’ll giver a fair price for the car.
Note: remember we never write “givem” or “givim” etc, I’m just doing that here for the sake of teaching you the pronunciation.
Here's what you get when you sign up!
- Read while you listen using the Premium Podcast player.
- Understand every word in every episode.
- Download all PDF transcripts and MP3s for 600+ episodes.
- Get access to bonus member-only episodes.