Topic

8. Vocab Breakdown

Topic Progress:

Raquel: I think it’s time we invested in a better clothesline.

• Invest in something – buy (a relatively expensive product) whose usefulness will repay the cost.

Pete: Yeah, I reckon. Our one in the back yard is falling to pieces. Shall we swing by Bunnings today and see if they can sort us out?

• I reckon – used to show you agree with something or think the same as someone.
  • Fall to pieces – break up, come apart, or disintegrate.
  • Shall we… – used to introduce a suggestion politely.
  • Swing by somewhere – go somewhere briefly whilst on the way to somewhere else.
  • Sort someone out – deal with something successfully; provide something for someone.

Raquel: Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. They shouldn’t be too exy, should they?

• Exy – (Australian slang) expensive.

Pete: (I have) No idea… (there’s only) one way to find out. Alright, you want to go now? I’ll just grab my keys and shoes.

• (I have) No idea. – I don’t know.
  • One way to find out – (there’s only) one way to discover the answer.

Pete and Kel drive to the nearby Bunnings Warehouse store, a huge chain of stores that sells household hardware.

• A chain of stores – a group of hotels, restaurants, or shops owned by the same company.

They park their car near the entrance, hop out, and enter the store.

• Hop out (of something) – (informal) exit (something)

Raquel: Far out! This place is huge. I think we might end up leaving with more than a clothesline.

• Far out! – used to show shock, surprise, interest, etc.
  • End up + doing something – ultimately + do something.

Pete: Keep your eyes on the prize. We came here for the clothesline, don’t get distracted.

• Keep your eyes ono the prize – remain focused on achieving a positive end result, without being distracted by problems or setbacks.

Raquel: Okay. Where do you think we’ll find it?

Pete: (I) Don’t know. Let’s ask this guy. Excuse me, mate. Whereabouts can we find clotheslines here?

• Don’t know – I’m unaware of the answer/truth; I’m unsure.
  • Excuse me, mate. – used to politely start a conversation with a stranger and show you’re about to ask a question.
  • Whereabouts – Where.

Employee: Hey, how’s it going? Yeah, follow me. You’ll find them on the righthand side of isle 35, towards the end. You can’t miss them, but I’ll show you just in case.

• Righthand side (of something) – on the right (of something).
  • You can’t miss something – it’s unavoidable; you will definitely see something.

Pete: Awesome! thanks a lot, mate.

• Awesome! – used to expression excitement.

Employee: Okay, here they are. Were you after anything specific?

• Be after something – be searching for something; want or desire something.

Raquel: We have an old Hills Hoist in the back yard, but it’s taking up too much space and the gears have rusted so much that they no longer work.

• Take up – occupy a quantity i.e. space, time, etc.
  • Rusted – be affected with rust.

Employee: Ah, righto. Well, fortunately, the latest Hills Hoist models are made of more durable parts that won’t rust, so they should hold up better and for longer.

• Righto – expressing agreement or assent.
  • Durable – able to withstand wear, pressure, or damage; hard-wearing.
  • Hold up – remain strong or successful; endure.

Pete: What do you reckon, Kel? Do you want to replace like for like?

• What do you reckon? – what do you think?; what’s your opinion?
  • Like for like – identical for identical; same for same.

Raquel: Mmm… What other options have you got?

Employee: So… alongside your traditional Hills Hoist you’ve also got your standard clothesline that gets mounted on the wall and extends out, but obviously, it doesn’t rotate.

• Your something – used to denote someone or something that is familiar or typical of its kind.
  • Mount something on something – place or fix (an object) on a support.
  • Extends out – to spread or stretch forth.

Raquel: Yeah, I think we might change it up and go with the wall-mounted version.

• Change something up – alter or switch something, especially from a usual method or proceedings.
  • Go with something – choose something; select an option.

Pete: Alright, well, if you’re happy, I’m happy.

• If you’re happy, I’m happy – if you like the decision, I like it.

Raquel: Sweet, let’s grab that one.

• Sweet – used to expression excitement.
  • Grab something – get, purchase, buy something.

Employee: Too easy. I’ll bring it down to the checkout for you and the guys at the checkouts will sort you out.

• Too easy – used to show you are happy to do something because it is very simply to do. Similar to “no worries!”.
  • A checkout – a point at which goods are paid for in a supermarket or similar store.

Pete and Kel walk down to the front of the store to the checkouts as they’re followed by the employee carting the cumbersome clothesline box on a trolley.

• Cart something – carry (a heavy or cumbersome object) somewhere with difficulty.
  • Cumbersome – large or heavy and therefore difficult to carry or use; unwieldy.
  • A trolley – a large metal basket or frame on wheels, used for transporting heavy or large items, such as supermarket purchases or luggage at an airport or railway station.

Check out employee: Hey, guys. How’s it going? Just this today?

• Just this? – is this all that you want?; will that be everything?

Pete: Yep. That’s it.

• That’s it – used to show you agree with what someone has said, i.e. “what you said is correct”.

Check out employee: No worries. That’ll be $109.00. Cash or card?

• That’ll be + price – often used to tell someone the total price of a purchase, i.e. “The total will be + price”.
  • Cash or card? – used by workers to ask if you’d like to pay for something with money (notes, coins) or by credit or debit card.

Raquel: We’ll pay by card. Is Pay-Pass okay?

• Pay (for something) by card – purchase something using a debit or credit card.
  • PayPass – a type of wave-and-pay system that employs RDIF technology, and allows shoppers to pay for low-value goods by touching their debit or credit card against an electronic reader.

Check out employee: Yep, sure is. Just place your card here when you’re ready. Did you want a receipt with that?

• Did you want a receipt with that? – used usually after a purchase when the worker asks if you’d like a written and printed transaction for the goods.

Pete: Yeah, that’d be great. Thanks a lot.

Check out employee: All good. Here you go. Have a great day!

• Here you go – used when presenting someone with something.

Raquel: Thanks! See you!