Topic

6. Vocabulary Breakdown

Topic Progress:

SO = someone

SW = somewhere

ST = something

Pete calls up a tour guide on Phillip Island to organise a boat trip around Seal Rocks.

• Call SO up – phone SO.
  • A tour guide – a person employed to show tourists around places of interest.

Tour guide: Hello. James here from Seal Tours Australia. How can I help you?

• James here – this form of “Name + here” is used during phone calls to indicate the name of the person answering a phonecall.

Pete: Yeah, g’day, James. My name’s Pete. I’m wanting to book a boat tour to Seal Rock.

• A boat tour – a short trip to or through a place in order to view or inspect ST by boat.

Tour guide: Hey Pete. No worries at all. How many people did you want to book for the tour and which date?

• …at all – used for emphasis meaning “in any way; to any extent”.
  • Book ST (for a time) – reserve (accommodation, a place, etc.); buy (a ticket) in advance (for a time).

Pete: It’s just be my wife and I, so two, thanks. And we’re staying on Phillip Island from the 8th til the 10th of March. We can do any day.

• …, thanks – used like “please” when asking for something.
  • Do ST – If you can “do ST”, in this case, it shows that you are available to go on the trip on that day, you can “do” that trip.

Tour guide: Alrighty. So, just two people on the tour. Just let me check availabilities for those dates. Okay, (it) looks like there’s space on either the 8
th or the 9th of March. Did you have a preference for either of those days?

• Alrighty – informal version of “alright”, meaning “okay” or expressing or asking for assent, agreement, or acceptance.
  • An availability – the state of being otherwise unoccupied; freedom to do something.
  • (it) looks like…  – it appears…; it seems like…
  • Space – a continuous area or expanse which is free, available, or unoccupied.
  • Have a preference for ST – have a greater liking for one alternative or another.

Pete: The 9th would be perfect, actually, as it’ll allow us to arrive on the 8th and get settled in first. Can you tell me how much that’ll be and how can I pay?

• Actually – used to emphasize that something someone has said or done is surprising.
  • Get settled in SW – to arrange yourself and the things you own so you feel more comfortable in a new place.
  • How much ST will be – the amount ST will cost.

Tour guide: Ah, let me see. It’ll be 150 bucks a pop, and you’ll just need to pay on the day before the tour leaves. So, cash or card will be fine.

• 150 bucks – $150.
  • A pop… – each; per person or thing.
  • Pay on the day – exchange money for an event on the day that it takes place.
  • Cash or card – used to say ST can be paid for with money in the form of notes or coins or with a bank card.

Pete: Brilliant. And what time should we show up and how long’s the trip?

• Brilliant – used as a response to good news like, “great”, “awesome”, etc.
  • Show up SW – arrive SW.

Tour guide: So, the boat leaves at 8 AM, so I’d say be there before then, obviously. And each trip usually lasts 2 hours, so you should be back by around 10 AM.

• I’d say… – used to introduce a statement that is your estimation or opinion.
  • Last – (of a process, activity, or state) continue for a specified period of time.
  • Around – approximately.

Pete: Awesome. And before I let you go, what do we need to bring on the day?

• Before I let you go – (casual) used to show you’re about to ask a final question before ending a conversation, phone call, etc.

Tour guide: Basically, you’ll just need some wet weather clothing that will keep you warm whilst you’re on the water, bring your camera or binoculars so you can get a closer view of the action, and lifejackets and lunch will be provided.

• Wet weather clothing – protective and often waterproof garments worn in wet conditions.
  • On the water – when in a vessel that is on a river, ocean, etc.
  • Binoculars – an optical instrument with a lens for each eye, used for viewing distant objects.
  • Get a closer view of the action –
  • A lifejacket – a sleeveless buoyant or inflatable jacket for keeping a person afloat in water.
  • Be provided – be given freely to you.

Pete: Oh, also, my wife suffers from sea sickness, so do you know what the weather’s going to be like on the day regarding the swell?

• Suffer from ST – experience mental of physical pain from ST.
  • Sea sickness – motion sickness experienced on the water.
  • Regarding – in respect of; concerning.
  • The swell – a slow, regular movement of the sea in rolling waves that do not break.

Tour guide: Look, it should be a pretty calm day by the looks of the weather forecast. Although, get her to take some sea sickness tablets before the trip in case conditions change.

• Look,… – used to call attention to what one is going to say.
  • Pretty – relatively.
  • By the looks of… – as it appears.
  • Although – however; in spite of the fact that.
  • A tablet – a small disc or cylinder of a compressed solid substance, typically a measured amount of a medicine or drug.
  • Conditions – the prevailing state of the weather, ground, or sea at a particular time, especially as it affects a sporting event.

Pete: No worries. And I take it you can just get those from any store on the island?

• I take it… – Used to check with someone that what you believe to be the case or what you understand them to mean is in fact the case, or is in fact what they mean.
  • A store – a quantity or supply of something kept for use as needed.

Tour guide: Yeah, just hit up the local Woolies or Coles. It’s just down the road from where the boat leaves. They should have plenty of them in stock.

• Hit up SW – to ask SO for ST or try to get ST from SO.
  • Woolies – (Aussie slang) “Woolworths” – a large supermarket chain in Australia.
  • Coles – a large supermarket chain in Australia.
  • Down the road from SW – very close to SW.
  • In stock – (of goods) available for immediate sale in a shop.

Pete: Alright, will do. Thanks so much for your help, James. (I’m) Looking forward to the trip!

• Will do – (informal) short for “I will do what you requested/said/etc.”
  • Look forward to ST – anticipate or await ST eagerly.

Tour guide: No worries, Pete. See you on the day! All the best.

• All the best – (informal) short for “I wish you all the best”.

Pete: Cheers. See ya.

• Cheers –
  • See ya – (informal) goodbye