Topic

4. Vocabulary Breakdown

Topic Progress:

Robby: Yeah, g’day Bill, what’s going on?

• What’s going on? – what’s new with you?; how are you?
    • This is a common informal greeting in English, where often you’re not looking for a detailed response, just “not much”, “not a lot”, etc.

Bill: Yeah, not much, Robby. Yourself?

• Not much – Not a lot; nothing notable.
  • Yourself? – And what about you?
    • Just “yourself” is often used as a reply to any kind of “how are you?” question to ask the question back to the speaker quickly.

Robby: Same, same. (I’m) just calling to touch base with you regarding this weekend’s get together. It’s at your place, right?

• Same, same – same as usual.
    • Often used when replying to any kind of “How are you?” question, when you want to say you have no news.
  • To touch base (with someone) – to talk to someone for a short time to find out how they are or what they think about something.
  • A get together – an informal gathering, i.e. a meeting, party, etc.
  • At your place – at your house/home.
    • “Someone’s place” is often used in English when referring to the location they live at.

Bill: Yeah, that’s it, mate. The house warming’s at our new place, which is at 15 Lagoon Drive in Ocean Grove.

• That’s it – that is the main point or difficulty.
  • A house warming (party) – a party celebrating a move to a new home.

Robby: Ah, sweet. Did you want us to bring anything? Nibblies or drinks or something?

• Sweet! – used to show enthusiasm or that you’re impressed or happy.
  • Nibblies – snacks that can be “nibbled”, e.g. lollies, chips, dip, biscuits, etc.

Bill: Yeah, actually, it’d be great if you could bring a slab of beer with you as we’re running low on booze.

• Actually – used when expressing a contradictory or unexpected opinion or correcting someone.
    • Here, it shows he only just realised he needed to ask for something even though Robby probably was expecting Bill to say, “Nah, we don’t need anything”.
  • A slab of beer – a pack of 24 beers. “A slab” is used because these boxes are in the shape of “a slab” of something.
  • To run low on something – become depleted of a resource, i.e. beer in this case.
  • Booze – alcoholic beverages.

Robby: Awesome, no dramas. Any brand in particular or will whatever work?

• Awesome – used to show enthusiasm or that you’re impressed or happy.
  • No dramas – (Aussie slang) no worries; not a problem; okay; you’re welcome.
  • A brand – a type of product manufactured by a particular company under a particular name.
  • in particular – especially (used to show that a statement applies to one person or thing more than any other).
  • …will whatever work? – in this case “whatever” means “anything”, as in, you don’t care what brand of beer it is. “Work” in this case, means “be suitable”, “be okay”, etc.
    • Will whatever (brand of beer) work (for you)? = Will any type of beer be suitable for you?

Bill: Whatever will work, mate. Beggars can’t be choosers.

* Beggars can’t be choosers. – said when you recognise that you must accept an offer or a situation because it is the only one available to you.

Robby: Alright, too easy. Oh, and can you just remind me, what time is it kicking off?

• Alright – okay.
  • Too easy – used like “no worries” or “okay” but also showing that it will be a simple task, and not a problem.
  • Kick off – for an event to begin, e.g. a footy (football) match, a concert, or a party.

Bill: If I remember correctly, the invitations said arrive by 12PM, so lunch time. And we’ll probably wrap things up around 4 or 5 as the wife and I are going to have an early one.

• An invitation – a written or verbal request inviting someone to go somewhere or to do something.
  • 12 PM – midday.
  • Wrap something up – end something, e.g. an event, meeting, party, etc.
  • Around – approximately.
  • 4 or 5 – native English speakers often refer to hours on the clock as just numbers. Whether this is in the afternoon (PM) or morning (AM) is normally evident, or they’ll say PM or AM.
  • Have an early one – have an early night, e.g. not party late into the evening and instead go to bed early in the night.

Robby: Oh yeah? What’s on for the following day?

• What’s on for + a time? – what do you have planned for + a time, e.g. today, tomorrow, this weekend, next month, etc.?

Bill: Well, there’s a memorial for the Bombing of Darwin that my family’s going to. Grandad was there back in 1942. So, we’re going to join him for that.

• A memorial – a statue or structure established to remind people of a person or event.
  • Grandad – an informal way of referring to or calling your grandfather.
  • Back in + past time – in the past; at a point far in the past.

Robby: Oh shit! No kidding? Well, (I) hope it’s a good day and we’ll see you at the house warming.

• oh shit! – (informal/swearing) used to show shock or surprise.
    • Okay for informal use with friends.
    • Avoid in formal situations, e.g. at work.
  • No kidding? – said in shock or surprise to show you didn’t expect what was said or that you are impressed by it.

Bill: No worries. See you then.

• No worries – no problem; not to worry; you’re welcome.

Robby: See ya.

• See ya – short for “see you later”, i.e. “goodbye”.