Topic

2. Vocabulary Breakdown

Topic Progress:

Pete: Jimmy! What’s up, mate! Thanks for coming over for the barbie today.

• What’s up – an informal greeting – How are you going?
  • A barbie – (Aussie slang) a barbecue

James: No worries, Pete. Wouldn’t have missed it for the world. I grabbed a 6-pack of beers and some kangaroo snags. They’re here in the esky here.

• To not miss something for the world – used to say that one/someone will definitely attend an event.
  • Grab something – (informal) buy or get something.
  • An esky – a drink or food cooler.

Pete: Oh, you didn’t have to do that, mate, but cheers. Come in and let’s get cracking. How’s your missus going anyway?

• To get cracking – (informal) get started; begin.
  • A missus – (Aussie slang) the girlfriend, partner, or wife of someone.

James: Yeah, she’s good. She’s sorry she couldn’t make it today, though. She’s been crook with the flu since last week.

• To not make it – to succeed in doing something, for example in reaching a place, going somewhere, attending an event, or arriving in time for something.
  • Crook – (Aussie slang) sick; unwell; ill.

Pete: No stress. Give her my best when you see her. Shall we crack open a beer? And are you hungry? How soon (do) you want to eat?

• No stress – (Informal) Don’t worry about it.
  • Give someone my best – Please convey my good wishes to a particular person.
  • Crack something open – to open something.

James: Hell yeah. Here you go. Cheers. I’m starving, so let’s get into it.

• Hell yeah! – Used when you are extremely excited/happy for some reason or another.
  • Get into something – begin something.
  • Cheers – expressing good wishes before drinking.

Pete: Good on ya. Cheers.

• Good on ya! – (Aussie slang) well done.

James: I think you’ll like this beer. It’s a locally brewed pale ale. Hoppy and strong.

• Locally brewed – make (beer) by soaking, boiling, and fermentation in a nearby (local) location.
  • A pale ale – a type of light-coloured beer similar to bitter.
  • Hoppy – having the taste or aroma of hops —used especially of ale or beer.

Pete: I love a good pale ale. What shall we chuck on the barbie first? You want snags, steak, chicken skewers or all of the above?

• Chuck something (on something) – (informal) put something (on something).
  • All of the above – everything just listed or suggested.

James: All of the above sounds good.

• To sound good – used for telling someone that their idea or suggestion seems like a good one.

Pete: Okay, sweet. Can you fire up the barbie out on the deck while I’ll grab them out of the fridge? Be out in a sec.

• Sweet – (informal) used in expressions of assent or approval.
  • To fire something up – to start a machine or piece of equipment.
  • A deck – a timber platform or terrace attached to a house or other building.
  • In a sec – (informal) – lit. “in a second”, meaning, briefly; soon; shortly.

James: Sure. I’m on it.

• To be on something – A phrase used by an individual in a group suddenly determined to resolve a task or meaningless puzzle.

James: Far out, mate. Enough flies out here for you? What’ve you been feeding them? One the size of a jumbo jet just flew past.

• Far out! – (informal) used to express shock, surprise, or being impressed.
  • Enough something for you? – used ironically when noticing the extreme nature of something.
    • e.g. “Is it hot enough for you?” – when it’s a hot day.
  • A jumbo jet – a very large airliner (originally and specifically a Boeing 747).

Pete: I reckon. It’s summer, mate, what can you do?

• I reckon – (Aussie slang) used when agreeing with a statement or observation someone has made.
  • What can you do? – said when someone complains about something and you don’t think anything can be done to change the situation.

James: I can leave you out here to it while I go inside to fetch another beer! That’s what I can do!

• To fetch something – to retrieve or get something.

Pete: Oh, come on, mate. Don’t leave me out here alone drinking with the flies?

• Come on! – (Aussie slang) used to show frustration or annoyance at something.
  • To drink with the flies – (Aussie slang) to drink alcohol alone.

James: Hehe tata!

• Tata! – (Aussie slang) bye; see ya!

Pete: Jeez! You know who your friends are, don’t you!

• Jeez! – used to show frustration or annoyance at something.