Topic

12. Vocab Breakdown

Topic Progress:

Pete has just arrived at his mate, Ben’s, house.

• his mate, Ben’s, house – the possessive “’s” here sounds most natural on the person’s name instead of “mate” or “friend” or whatever other noun could be mentioned in front of the name.
    • “his mate’s, Ben, house” doesn’t sound natural.

They’re catching up this weekend and heading into the city.

• Catch up (with SO) – meet up (with SO) to hear their news.
  • Head SW – (informal English) go SW.
    • Native speakers often use “head” to mean go in the direction of SW.

Pete: So, Ben, where’re we off to today?

• Be off to SW – be going to SW.
    • “off” here is used to show that distance will be created from where you are to where you’ll be going, i.e. move off, go off, walk off, etc.

Ben: I thought we might go to the Hyde Park Barracks and check out the convicts exhibits there.

• Check ST out – examine or look at ST.
  • An exhibit – a section of a museum where ST is displayed to the public.

Pete: Awesome idea. I’ve never been there to check it out.

Ben: Yeah, neither, but my folks told me about it the other day and said it was worth a look. Apparently, we have convict heritage that can be traced all the way back to the First Fleet.

• One’s folks – one’s parents.
  • The other day – an unspecified day in the recent past, i.e. could be yesterday, could be a week ago.
  • Be worth a look – (of ST) to definitely see and not miss.
  • Have Convict heritage – have descended from the British convicts that came to Australia.
  • Be traced back to ST – followed or tracked back to ST.
  • The First Fleet – the first lot of British ships to arrive in Australia at the start of colonization in 1788.

Pete: Wow, no kidding? Our family comes from all over the place.

• No kidding? – are you serious?
    • Here “no kidding” is used to check that the person isn’t “kidding around”, i.e. joking or being silly.
  • All over the place – everywhere.

Ben: All over the place? Yeah? Whereabouts?

• Whereabouts? – which location?

Pete: Well, there’s some Scottish and Irish, as well as a little Italian, German, and Greek in there somewhere too.

Ben: Yeah, I think most Aussies tend to be a mixed bag like that when it comes to heritage.

• Tend to be ST – usually be ST.
  • A mixed bag (of ST) – (informal English) “a mixed bag” refers to “a mixed bag of lollies/candy” where you have many different types of lollies in the same bag that you’ve bought.
    • This can be used when referring to ST that is a mixture of many other things.
    • Here it refers to the fact that Pete’s heritage comes from many different places and is a mix of many different things.
  • When it comes to ST – regarding ST.

Pete: So, what time did you think we should head to the museum?

Ben: Now, let’s get moving.

• Let’s get moving – let’s get ready and leave.

Pete and Ben hop into the car and drive down to the Hyde Park Barracks.

• Hop in ST – (informal English) get into or enter ST.
  • Drive down (to SW) – ‘down’ here suggests the location is in a downwards direction or southern direction from where the speaker is.

They park the car and head to the entrance to buy tickets.

Pete: Hey, how’s it going? Can we grab two adult tickets please.

• Grab ST – (informal English) buy, purchase, get, or have ST.

Admin: Hi. No worries. Any concessions?

• A concession – a health care card or senior card that would give you a discount on the full ticket price.

Pete: Nah, no concessions unfortunately.

Admin: Alright, here you are. Just head through the door over there.

• Here you are – used when presenting or giving ST to SO.

Ben: Cheers. Is there anything you think we should definitely check out and not miss?

• Cheers – (informal English) thanks; thank you.

Admin: Mmmm… Good question. I reckon make sure that you check out the convict punishment section. There’s a lot of strange ways that they used to punish convicts back in the day.

• Reckon – (Aussie slang) think; have the opinion.
  • Back in the day – in the past.

Ben: Alright. Will do! Thanks for the suggestion.

• Will do! – (informal English) used to tell SO you accept their suggestion to do ST and that you “will do it”.

Admin: All good. Have a good one!

• (It’s) all good – okay; alright; no worries.
  • Have a good one – (informal English) have a good day.

Pete: Cheers, mate. You too!

Ben and Pete head into the museum and start checking out the different exhibitions.

They eventually make their way to the convict punishment section.

• Make SO’s way (to) SW – go SW.

Pete: Far out! Have a look at this, Ben. They used to tie convicts to a wooden tripod and whip them in front of the others for punishment.

• Far out! – used to indicate shock, surprise, or being impressed by ST.
  • Whip SO – hit SO (with ST) in a fast motion.

Ben: Yeah, that doesn’t surprise me. Imagine what it was like nursing those wounds the next day whilst being forced to work again.

• Nurse a wound – take care of an open injury.

Pete: Yeah, infection must’ve been rife and antibiotics were a good century or more away, right?

• Be rife – for ST to be everywhere or very common.
  • Anti-biotics – a medicine (such as penicillin or its derivatives) that inhibits the growth of or destroys microorganisms.
  • A good ST – used to emphasize that a number is at least as great as one claims.
  • A + period of time + away – a + period of time + before or after ST else.
    • Here Pete means that anti-biotics wouldn’t be invented until 100+ years into the future.

Ben: Yeah, we’ve definitely got it easy these days.

• Have (got) it easy – not have as difficult a life as SO else.

Pete: Sure do.

• Sure do – (informal English) used here to show you agree that “we sure do have it easy these days”.
    • The sentence can be shorted like this informally because the context makes it obvious what you mean.