Topic

11. Vocab Breakdown

Topic Progress:

Pete and Kel are driving along on a road trip through the mountains of the Great Dividing Range.

• Be driving along – be in the process of driving a car.
  • A road trip – a journey made by car, bus, etc.
  • The Great Dividing Range – The Great Dividing Range, or the Eastern Highlands, is Australia’s most substantial mountain range and the third longest land-based range in the world.

They suddenly come around a bend and spot an injured animal on the road.

• A bend – a curve in a road.
  • Spot ST – notice or see ST.

Kel: What’s that in the middle of the road? Is it an animal?

Pete: Oh, shit! it’s a bat and it’s still alive. Must’ve been hit by a car.

• Shit! – used informally to show shock, surprise, excitement, etc.
  • Must’ve been hit by a car. – (It) must have been impacted by a car.
    1. Here we can drop the word “it” because it’s obvious from context that we’re talking about the animal.

Kel: Pull over! We need to help it before it gets run over.

• Pull over – bring a car or other vehicle to a stop at the side of a road.
  • Get run over – for a car or other vehicle to drive over you.

Pete: Alright. Here looks safe.

Pete pulls over to the side of the road and parks his car.

They both get out of the car and approach the furry creature on the road.

Kel: Ewww… It’s a bat! Gross!

• Ewww…  A sound made to show disgust.
  • Gross! – Disgusting!

Pete: Come on, Kel, it’s not that bad.

• Come on – used to tell someone that you do not believe them or that you disagree with them, or to show that you are angry with them.

Kel: Well, what do you want me to do? Move him off the road and let nature take its course?

• Move ST off ST – shift ST from being on ST.
  • Let nature take its course – to allow something to happen naturally, i.e. allow the bat to die naturally or heal naturally.

Pete: Nah, we can’t just leave him here. He looks like he’s not too badly hurt, probably just needs some TLC. Grab my jumper and that cardboard box we have in the car. We can probably use that.

• Not too badly hurt – hardly hurt at all.
  • TLC – an abbreviation for ‘tender loving care.’, meaning kindess, love, and attention.
  • A jumper – a knitted garment typically with long sleeves, worn over the upper body.
  • A cardboard box – industrially prefabricated boxes, primarily used for packaging goods and materials and can also be recycled.

Kel: Alright. Don’t touch it, though. They spread disease, don’t they?

• though – however.
  • spread disease – ST that spreads disease passes on certain viruses or bacteria to other organisms.

Pete: They do. Don’t worry, though, I’m not in a hurry to end up in hospital with Lyssa virus.

• Not be in a hurry to do ST – often used to show you are definitely not going to do ST because it’s obviously a bad idea.
  • Lyssa virus – the Australian equivalent of the virus Rabies, spread by bats.

Kel runs back to the car, fetches the jumper and box and brings them back to Pete.

• Fetch ST – go and get ST; retrieve ST.

Pete: Alright, I’m going to throw the jumper over him and wrap him up. You hold the box next to him and I’ll slide him into it, okay?

• Throw ST over ST – here “throw” is a synonym for “put”, i.e. “put it over him”, but it’s a casual way of saying it.

Kel: Okay, ready? 1, 2, 3! Go!

Pete: Good job. Okay, you got him? Let me do a quick Google search for a wildlife hotline so we can get this guy some help.

• A Google search – an instance of using the search engine Google to find information.
  • A wildlife hotline – a phone number you can ring where SO will answer to assist you in cases where wildlife has been found injured or in need of help.
  • This guy – here “guy” is being used instead of “it” to refer to the animal. English speakers often do this in an affectionate way to show they think of the thing as more than an inanimate object.

Kel: Sure, but what do you want me to do with the bat in the meantime? I’m not sitting in the car with it!

• Sure – certainly; absolutely.
  • In the meantime – meanwhile; during the time before ST happens or before a specified period ends.

Pete: Close the lid on the box and leave him next to the car then. I’ll just be a minute.

• I’ll just be a minute – I’ll just be occupied for a short period of time.

Pete finds a wildlife hotline number online and gives it a ring.

• Give ST a ring – call a phone number, i.e. make a phone “ring” by calling it.

Stranger: Hi, this is Alex at Wildlife Victoria. How can I help you?

• This is *name* at *location* – a common way for workers to answer a phone at a business.

Pete: Hi Alex, I’ve got an injured bat here on Don Rd near Healesville. Is there anywhere nearby I can take him to get looked after?

• Get looked after – be taken care of, i.e. for the bat to get medical attention.

Alex: Oh, no worries, Pete. So, you’re near Healesville? That makes life easy as Healesville Sanctuary is just a few clicks away.

• That makes life easy – that makes things simple.
  • A few clicks away – a few kilometres away. “A click” here is slang for “a kilometer”

Pete: Ah, I’ve heard of the place. So, I can probably look it up via the GPS then. If I go straight there, where do I need to leave the bat?

• Have heard of ST – be familiar with ST because you saw it previously or SO told you about it.
  • Look ST up via ST – search for information about ST using ST else, i.e. “looking up an address via the internet”.
  • GPS – Global positioning system – what you use on your phone that is a map giving you directions.

Alex: Yeah, too easy. Just drive up to the main entrance and I’ll call them now to let them know you’re on the way. There’ll be someone waiting for you when you arrive.

• Too easy – That’s simple. – used informally to show what the person has said or asked of you is a simple thing that can be done easily or that you’ll be willing to do.
  • Drive up to ST – approach ST while driving.
  • The main entrance (of ST) – the primary location of a building or place where you enter it.
  • Let SO know about ST – inform SO about ST.
  • Be on one’s way – be in the process of going to a specific location, i.e. literally on the road (i.e. way) to the place.

Pete: Sweet. Thanks for that, Alex. I’ll be there shortly.

• Sweet. – used to show excitement or enthusiasm.

Alex: Glad to help. And thanks for lending a hand to native wildlife. I’m sure the bat appreciates it.

• Glad to help – (I am) happy to assist you.
    1. Because it’s a casual conversation between two people, pronouns like “I” and “You” and even auxiliary verbs like “am” can be dropped from sentences because the context makes it obvious.
  • Lend a hand to SO/ST – assist SO/ST.

Pete: My pleasure. I’ll get on my way. See ya!

• Get on one’s way – begin travelling to a destination.
  • See ya! – short for “See you later”.

Alex: Bye.