Topic

10. Vocab Breakdown

Topic Progress:

Pete’s driving through the Outback trying to get to Uluru in time to check it out before sunset.

• Check ST out – examine or look at ST.

He pulls his car over to the side of the road, steps out, and opens up his road map on the bonnet to try and work out where to go.

• A bonnet – the hinged metal canopy covering the engine of a motor vehicle.

A stranger heading the other way pulls over, rolls his window down, and asks if Pete needs directions.

• Pull over – (of a vehicle) move to the side of or off the road.

Stranger: Hey, mate. Need some help with directions?

• Need some help… – (Do) you need some help…
    • The auxiliary verb ‘do’ can be dropped because it’s obvious because of context.

Pete: Yeah, I’d say so. Bloody hell! I haven’t got the foggiest idea where I am.

• Bloody hellused to express anger or annoyance.
  • Haven’t got the foggiest (idea) (about ST) – have no clue/idea about ST.

Stranger: You’re about 50 clicks due north of Alice Springs. Where are you trying to get to?

• A click – (Australian slang) a kilometre
  • Due north – “due + direction” means “straight in that direction”.

Pete: Ah, bugger! I’m trying to get to Uluru before dark. I take it I’m going the complete opposite direction… I should be going south, right?

• Bugger – (Australian slang) damn!
    • Used for emphasis.
  • Before dark – before the evening/when the sun goes down.
  • I take it – As I understand it.

Stranger: Yeah, that’s it. What you’ll need to do is chuck a U-ey here, drive back through Alice Springs, and then follow the Stuart Highway for about 240 clicks.

• That’s it – what you said is correct.
  • Chuck a U-ey – (Australian slang) do a U-turn, i.e. turn your vehicle around 180 degrees.

Pete: Righto. So, through Alice Springs, south along the Stuart Highway for 240 clicks, then what?

• Righto – (Australian slang) okay; alright.

Stranger: You’ll eventually get to the Erldunda Roadhouse, right? And when you hit that make a righthand turn onto Lasseter Highway. You can’t miss it.

• Roadhouse – an inn or club on a country road.
  • Right?used to ask for confirmation that you’re correct.
  • Hit ST – reach ST.
  • Can’t miss it – definitely be able to see or notice it.

Pete: Okay. So, when I reach the Erldunda Roadhouse, turn right on to Lasseter Highway, right?

• Reach SW – arrive at SW.

Stranger: Yeah, that’s it. Then just follow the Lasseter for another 200 clicks or so, and you’ll end up smack bang in front of the rock.

• Smack bang in front of ST – directly in front of ST
    • Used for emphasis.

Peter: Alright. Stuart Highway south for 240 clicks, turn right at Erldunda Roadhouse, drive another 200 clicks and arrive. And how will I know when I’m there?

Stranger: I think you’re going to know when you see it. You know, it’s a pretty big rock. You can see it from about 50 clicks away. Once you spot it, keep going towards it. That easy.

• Spot ST – notice or see ST.
  • That easy. – ‘(It’s) that easy’, meaning, ‘it’s that simple’
    • ‘It’s’ can be removed because context makes it obvious.

Pete: No shit Sherlock. It’s huge.

• No shit Sherlocka phrase often used towards someone who states the obvious.
    • Here Pete uses it on himself because he realises it was a stupid question for which the answer was obvious.

Stranger: Yep. But you might want to get a wriggle on.

• Get a wriggle on – hurry up.

Pete: Why’s that?

Stranger: From here, the drive’s a good 6 hours. So, it’s just after lunchtime now, so if you want to make it before sunset, you better get moving, mate.

• A good + somethingused to emphasize that a number is at least as great as one claims.
  • Better get moving – would be better to hurry up.

Pete: You’re right! Damn! Okay, thanks for the directions, mate. I really appreciate it. I’ll see you later!

• Damn! – expressing anger or frustration.

Stranger: No worries, mate. Good luck! Too-da-loo!

• Too-da-loo – good bye!