Topic

1. Vocabulary Breakdown

Topic Progress:

Doctor: Hi, Peter is it? I’m Dr. Daniels. How can I help you today?

• Name + is it?
    • often used in formal situations when someone is checking they are meeting the right person.

Pete: I’ve been tagged by a snake on the hand.

• Tag someone
    • “to tag” has many meanings, but the most common use is attaching something to something else.
      • You tag a tag to a clothing item for sale
      • A graffiti artist tags a wall with his tag using spray paint.
      • If you tag along with someone, you join them in going somewhere.
      • And if you tag someone in a game of tag, it’s when you are “it” and have to touch someone with your hand, i.e. tag them, to make them “it”, and so the game continues where you chase each other.
    • When regards to snakes, and other animals that can bite, sting, etc., if you get bitten or stung by one, we use the slang/informal term, “you’ve been tagged”.

Doctor: Okay, I can see you’ve bandaged it up and immobilised it already. Come with me and we’ll fix you up.

• To bandage something up – to completely wrap something in a bandage

Pete: No dramas.

• No dramas – No worries; it’s not a problem.

Doctor: Lie down for me on the bed here, and before I remove the bandages, do you know what kind of snake bit you?

• A bandage – a strip of woven material used to bind up a wound or to protect an injured part of the body.

Pete: Yeah, it was an eastern brown snake. I was rummaging around in the woodpile beside the house and as I lifted up a plank I felt a prick on my left hand.

• Rummage around (in something) – search unsystematically and untidily through something.
    • “around” is added on to make it a phrasal verb and suggest you are “rummaging” “in many different directions” or “with no specific aim”.
  • A woodpile – a stack of wood stored for fuel.
  • A plank – a long, thin, flat piece of timber, used especially in building and flooring.
  • A prick – an act of piercing something with a sharp point.

Doctor: Mmmm, I can see he definitely nailed you on the hand here as it’s starting to swell up. How are you pain wise?

• Nailed (by ST)
    • similar to “tagged”, imagine if you nail something to something else, it is now attached to it.
    • If someone nails you (with something), you have been hit by something, or received, gotten, copped it in some way.
      • I threw a water bomb and nailed my brother in the back.
    • It can also be used informally to talk about having been bitten or stung by an animal.
      • The ant nailed me with his sting on my leg.
  • Swell up – to become larger than normal, usually because of liquid collecting inside.
    • “Up” is added show something is “increasing”, similar to “blow up” or “grow up”.
  • *something* wise – with regards to *something*

Pete: It’s not that painful, though, I can definitely feel heat and pressure from where he got me.

• It’s not that painful – in this case “that” is used to mean “very”, “to such a degree”, “as you would expect”, etc.
    • You might use this as an adverb when you’re saying something is or isn’t “very + adjective”.
    • “Your brother is really annoying!” “Come on! He’s not that annoying.”
    • I was that close to getting hit by the car as it sped by.
    • I wasn’t that certain what the answer was, so I guessed.
  • Where he got me – in the place where he bit me.
    • If someone or something “gets you” it means they have done something to you.
    • It could be a joke that has tricked someone – “Ah, good joke! You got me!”
    • It could be that you have tried to shoot someone – “I nearly got the guy with my gun!”

Doctor: Yeah, although, sometimes these snakes will give you a dry bite we aren’t going to take any chances, as by the looks of it, you’ve been envenomated.

• A dry bite – a bite from a fanged and venomous animal where it didn’t inject venom.
  • To (not) take any chances – to (not) take any unnecessary risks.
  • By the looks of it – as it appears or seems.
  • Envenomated – injected with venom by an animal that can bite or sting.

Pete: Definitely feels like it, doc. Hopefully, you can prevent me from kicking the bucket.

• Doc – an informal way of referring to a doctor, often used by men.
  • Kick the bucket – an informal/slang expression for “to die”.

Doctor: Haha, not to worry. I’ve got some brown snake anti-venom here, which I’m going to give you via a simple injection.

• Anti-venom – an antiserum containing antibodies against specific poisons, especially those in the venom of snakes, spiders, and scorpions.
  • An injection – an instance of injecting or being injected with a solution in a syringe/needle.

Pete: Well, I’ve already copped one injection today, so might as well have a second one.

• Cop something – informal way of saying “to get” or “to receive” something.
    • I copped a fine from the cop.
    • I copped the worst sunburn at the beach today.
    • I farted! Cop that! – i.e. suffer from the smell

Doctor: Okay, are you ready? You’ll feel a slight prick.

• Slight – small in degree; inconsiderable.

Pete: Ouch! Jesus, doc. That was worse than the original snake bite!

• Original – present or existing from the beginning; first or earliest.

Doctor: Well, to be fair, the snake’s probably quicker and better practiced than I am.

• To be fairused for making your criticism of someone or something seem less strong.
    • “I’m so annoyed that dad’s been away all week.” – “To be fair, he’s been away at work.”
  • Better + adjective – more excellently or effectively.
    • We’re better equipped than you.
    • She’s better prepared than me.

Alright, lie back and take it easy for a few minutes as the anti-venom takes effect. Once the swelling dies down, you’ll be on your way.

• Lie back – sit down and move your body into a lying position.
  • Take effect – for something to begin to function or work.
  • Swelling – an abnormal enlargement of a part of the body, typically as a result of an accumulation of fluid.
  • Die down – subside; diminish.
  • Be on your way – have started one’s journey.

Pete: You beaut! Thanks, doc.

• You beaut! – informally used for a beautiful or remarkable person or thing.
    • “We’re going to the movies today”. – “You beaut!”
    • “I bought a new car. Check it out”. – “Wow, you beaut!”.

Doctor: No worries, just keep an eye out for snakes next time you’re rummaging around the woodpile.

• No worries – not to worry; alright; no stress.
  • Keep an eye out for something – watch out for something; be careful of something.

Pete: Sure. Will do! Thanks, doc.

• Will do! – used to reply to a suggestion or order someone has given you. It’s a shortened way of saying “I will do + thing that has been suggested/ordered”.
    • “Can you get me some milk from the shop?”. – “Will do”.
    • “Go out and mow the lawn.” – “Will do.”