Topic

13. Vocab Breakdown

Topic Progress:

Pete and Kel have a date night tonight where they’re meant to switch off their phones and go out together.

• A date night – a prearranged occasion on which an established couple, especially one with children, go for a night out together.
  • Switch ST off – turn ST electrical off; stop the power running to a device.

Kel’s just got home from work, walked in the door, and started discussing the plans with Pete.

• Walk in the door – arrive SO and open and walk through the front door.

Kel: Hey, I’m home!

Pete: Hey, beautiful. How was your day?

• Beautiful – often used by men referring affectionately to their partners.

Kel: Not too bad. I was flat out like a lizard drinking with meetings one after the other all day, but it was a productive one. Glad it’s over.

• Not too bad – okay; alright.
  • Flat out like a lizard drinking – (Aussie slang) – very busy
  • A productive one – ‘one’ here is referring to ‘day’ and that it was ‘productive’ as in she got a lot done.
  • (I’m) glad it’s over – (I’m) happy it’s finished/completed.
    • Because the context is obvious “I’m” can be dropped from the sentence.

Pete: Ah well, busy days are usually the ones that pass the fastest. So, tonight’s date night, right? Did you have anything in mind?

• Have ST in mind – be thinking of choosing ST.

Kel: I had a few options up my sleeve, which were: going to the movies to see the new Crocodile Dundee film; going to the Melbourne Comedy festival that’s currently on; or going to see a recital of Banjo Paterson’s best poetry.

• Have ST up one’s sleeve – have an idea or plan which you have not told anyone about.
  • A recital – a performance of a programme of poetry, music, etc. by a soloist or small group.

Pete: Hmmm, okay, so my pick, huh?

• One’s pick – one’s choice, i.e. that it’s the decision of SO.

Kel: Yep. It’s up to you. I’m happy with any of those options.

• Up to SO – be the choice of SO.
  • Be happy with ST – be comfortable with an option or situation.

Pete: Well, as much as I like Banjo Paterson, I’m not much of a poetry fan to be honest.

• Not much of a *noun* fan – if you’re not much of a *noun* fan, it means you don’t really like that thing.
    • If you’re a fan of ST or a ST fan – you like that thing.

Kel: Haha, I knew you’d say that.

Pete: I’d love to see Crocodile Dundee, but you know how much I hate going to the movies where everyone’s eating pop corn, making noise, and kids are running amok.

• Run amok – run riot or wild; behave in a frenzied, out-of-control, or unrestrained manner.

Kel: Indeed, I do. So that means…

• Indeed – used to emphasise a statement or response confirming something already suggested.

Pete: It means, I guess, we’re going to the Melbourne Comedy Festival!

• I guess – You say I guess to show that you are slightly uncertain or reluctant about what you are saying.

Kel: Yay! Good choice! I’m dying for a bit of a giggle.

• Be dying for ST – really want ST.
  • A giggle – a laugh.

Pete: But wait, when you say “Melbourne Comedy Festival”, which show exactly? Which comedian did you want to see?

Kel: Well… you have to agree to it before I tell you.

Pete: Alright… I agree.

Kel: Good. It’s Jim Jeffries! Wooo!

Pete: Jim Jeffries? Gross! He’s the most unfunny comic out there. I should’ve chosen the poetry.

• Gross – (Aussie slang) disgusting.
  • Out there – in the world.

Kel: No givesies backsies. A deal’s a deal. Let’s go!

• No givesiel backsides – you can’t take back what you’ve given; you can’t change your mind.
  • A deal’s a deal – said to emphasise when you make an agreement with SO you have to stick to it.

Pete: Clever girl. Let’s go.

• Clever – intelligent; smart.