Topic

11. Speaking Exercise

Topic Progress:

Pete and Kel are driving along on a road trip through the mountains of the Great Dividing Range.

They suddenly come around a bend and spot an injured animal on the road.

Kel: What’s that in the middle of the road? Is it an animal?

Pete: Oh, shit! It’s a bat and it’s still alive. Must’ve been hit by a car.

Kel: Pull over! We need to help it before it gets run over.

Pete: Alright. Here looks safe.

Pete pulls over to the side of the road and parks his car.

They both get out of the car and approach the furry creature on the road.

Kel: Ewww… It’s a bat! Gross!

Pete: Come on, Kel, it’s not that bad.

Kel: Well, what do you want me to do? Move him off the road and let nature take its course?

Pete: Nah, we can’t just leave him here. He looks like he’s not too badly hurt, probably just needs some TLC. Grab my jumper and that cardboard box we have in the car. We can probably use that.

Kel: Alright. Don’t touch it, though. They spread disease, don’t they?

Pete: They do. Don’t worry, though, I’m not in a hurry to end up in hospital with Lyssa virus.

Kel runs back to the car, fetches the jumper and box and brings them back to Pete.

Pete: Alright, I’m going to throw the jumper over him and wrap him up. You hold the box next to him and I’ll slide him into it, okay?

Kel: Okay, ready? 1, 2, 3! Go!

Pete: Good job. Okay, you got him? Let me do a quick Google search for a wildlife hotline so we can get this guy some help.

Kel: Sure, but what do you want me to do with the bat in the meantime? I’m not sitting in the car with it!

Pete: Close the lid on the box and leave him next to the car then. I’ll just be a minute.

Pete finds a wildlife hotline number online and gives it a ring.

Stranger: Hi, this is Alex at Wildlife Victoria. How can I help you?

Pete: Hi Alex, I’ve got an injured bat here on Don Rd near Healesville. Is there anywhere nearby I can take him to get looked after?

Alex: Oh, no worries, Pete. So, you’re near Healesville? That makes life easy as Healesville Sanctuary is just a few clicks away.

Pete: Ah, I’ve heard of the place. So, I can probably look it up via the GPS then. If I go straight there, where do I need to leave the bat?

Alex: Yeah, too easy. Just drive up to the main entrance and I’ll call them now to let them know you’re on the way. There’ll be someone waiting for you when you arrive.

Pete: Sweet. Thanks for that, Alex. I’ll be there shortly.

Alex: Glad to help. And thanks for lending a hand to native wildlife. I’m sure the bat appreciates it.

Pete: My pleasure. I’ll get on my way. See ya!

Alex: Bye.